What is Twitter?

Sunday, April 12, 2009

I thought I would start this blog by touching on the hottest current Social Media application – Twitter. Everyone has heard about Twitter, but what exactly is it?

Twitter.com describes the tool as a "service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?” Sounds easy enough… but in reality, the Twitter phenomenon is far from a simple definition.

In my mind, a model (here on Flickr) made by Raimo van der Klein, best classifies Twitter: Twitter is microblogging: high frequency public (one2many) messaging

A weblog: low-frequency public (one2many) messaging

SMS: low-frequency private (one2one) messaging

MrTweet says that "Everyone has different uses and purposes for Twitter".

How do you define or use Twitter?

2 comments

Johnny Blaze said...

I usually use Twitter in the stereotypical way; micro attention sharing. I direct people to blog posts I’ve written, entertaining things I find on the web (Twitter has a built in function to use tinyurl.com to shrink URLs to keep it under 140 characters), and just to let people know what I'm up to!

April 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Randy Sinquay said...

I mostly use Twitter to help my friends or connections by means of friendsourcing. Basically, I will make a few tweets asking “need a (blank) on behalf of a friend”, which can be really useful if there’s something specific you need, and a particular audience you want to tap onto.

April 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Post a Comment